Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Passion, Ambition, Butter: Summer Movies 2009

I'm waiting for the trailer for Julie & Julia to finish loading on youtube. Just checked still loading.

Still, I'm totally ready for the official summer movie season, sure, it kind of started with Up, but I'm thinking grownup movies. No, Star Trek doesn't count.

Probably lost readers there, didn't I? Oh well. Here's what I'm looking forward to in the weeks and months to come:

The Proposal - June 19

Sandra Bullock, how we have missed thee. Premonitions did nothing for us, because it was not funny. It's okay to be funny. We like you when you're funny. Economy sucks right now, we could use a giggle. And Betty White searching for your bosom? Yeah. Good giggle.



Cheri - June 26

This is the guilty pleasure pick, but I'm a sucker for witty costume dramas. Either way, Kathy Bates looks like she's having the best time of her life.



Public Enemies - July 3

Danny might actually go to this one with me. Willingly, at least. While I'm interested in the face-off between Johnny Depp and Christian Bale, I'm really looking forward to seeing Marion Cotillard again.




Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - July 17

'Nuff said. No, wait - Dumbledore is looking more like Gandalf than ever.



Julie & Julia - August 7

I love Nora Ephron, and I hope with all of my heart that this film restores her good name, tarnished in the eyes of some since Bewitched. My favorite line from the trailer - "I could write a blog. I have thoughts!" With Meryl Streep as Julia Child and Stanley Tucci as her husband, I'd be hooked as it was. Amy Adams as blogger Julie? Icing on the cake. Note to those who find Amy Adams' voice annyoing: I am sad for you.



The Time Traveler's Wife - August 14

I haven't read the book, but it's an intriguing premise. I'm all about stories that involve working on your marriage, and having your spouse looping through time seems like a hard topic to broach during marital counseling. The review may come in as being less than impressive, but until then I'm holding out hope.




Post Grad - August 21

I wish good things for Alexis Bledel, who made us so happy on Gilmore Girls and has enjoyed little screentime since. Her costar Edward Hermann expected great things for her, and it would be nice if this little end o' summer pic was her springboard.



Chances are, Transformers and G.I Joe are also on the playlist for summer. I would like to see Sam Mendes Aways We Go, although we may catch that on video, since we were both deeply scarred by Revolutionary Road. Depending on how we're feeling at the time, The Ugly Truth might make it into the summer viewing list. Reviews will help out with decisions there too.

Well, after nearly a solid week of running around with marketing/publishing craziness, I'm off to watch a chick flick with my mom and sister.

P.S. The basil lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment